Search The Internet From Todd's Coffee Nook

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dad


Today marks the one year mark of the passing of my father. With this day comes a lot of emotions, both happy and sad. It's been one full year but it really doesn't seem much easier.I just wanted to share a memorial of him for everyone that knew him and for everyone that never had that wonderful opportunity......

My dad was born with a heart condition. When he was born the doctor said that he would not make it to 8. At the age of eight they said he would not make it to 12. I think because of those dire predictions my dad lived his life to the fullest!! He was probably the most alive person I have ever known. He owned and ran an ambulance service by the time he was 16. When he decided to go into TV, he did that with zest. He was one of the youngest TV directors to every come through Columbus, GA before heading to the big Market in Atlanta. Once TV started boring him, he started one of the most successful ambulance services in Atlanta. My dad was not one to stay any place to long, so after working with Garth Brooks he decided it was off to Nashville. Dad started Encore Management company before tackling the Record Business completely. Like I said there was nothing he could not do. Dad fell in love with kayaking. So, he left Nashville and started RiverRight outfitters on the Cartecay River in North Georgia. Most people would never dream to even try something new, for dad he was always out to prove he could do anything. When dad passed away he was working in the motion picture business with his wonderful wife Lisa.

My favorite memories of dad, are how he used to support me when I was mountain bike racing. It was always so awesome to finish a lap and see my dad running beside me with a water bottle in hand. We also carried the olympic torch on bike in 1996, the only father son team to do that besides Lance Armstrong and his dad. I can still see my dad before the Gulf War wearing sunglasses so I could see the tears in his eyes as I boarded the plane. He was so mad at me last year when he learned that I was being deployed again. He used to joke that I never turned down a uniform, from boy scouts on. It has been so hard being here without his support and his humor to get me through.

Dad, I miss you and I want the whole world to know how much I love you. You are missed by so many people. I am so thankful for the time we had together. You were my shooting star.


Robert Bennett April 12, 1945 - July 16, 2008 ATLANTA, GA — Robert Bennett, 63, of Atlanta, died July 16, 2008 at Emory Crawford Long Hospital in Atlanta. Graveside services will be held 4:00 p.m. Saturday, July 19, 2008 in Parkhill Cemetery according to Striffler-Hamby Mortuary, Columbus. The family will receive friends at 3:30 p.m. at the graveside. Mr. Bennett was born April 12, 1945 to the late William Osborne, Jr. and Jessie Mae Bennett in Columbus, GA. He attended Columbus High School and was a 32nd degree mason. Mr. Bennett is survived by wife, Lisa, of Atlanta; a son, Todd Bennett of Indianapolis, IN; an aunt, Peggy Bennett of Collegedale, TN. Visit www.mem.com to sign the online guest registry.

1 comment:

  1. When I was going through the long list of songs to burn for ya, Homesick by MercyMe was one of the top ones.

    "In Christ, there are no goodbyes
    And in Christ, there is no end
    So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
    To see you again
    To see you again

    And I close my eyes and I see your face
    If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
    Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
    Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
    Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow

    I've never been more homesick than now"

    What words!! I pray they bring you some comfort today.

    ReplyDelete